Monday, March 3, 2008

I've decided who makes the best music videos

Before I say anything, let me first make this statement: Hip-Hop is my favorite type of music. Hands down, it's not even close. Having said that, I have to ask why the genre that, since its inception into slightly-mainstream music in the late 80's, has been known for its creativity has become so dull when making videos. I can pretty much some up 85% of Hip-Hop videos with these characteristics: club, whores, liquor, expensive sunglasses, whores, hoodie, entourage, and whores. That's not to say ALL HIP-HOP VIDEOS ARE BAD, it's just that way too many have become complacent. It's almost like artist are making music videos because they have to, not because they want to express themselves.

Now, there are some videos that I legitimatly enjoy. Just in the last year, I will name some rap videos I saw and liked: International Players Anthem, Good Life, Hot Thing, Can't Tell Me Nothing (Version 2... peep it here), Us Placers. I'm sure there are some others that I just can't think of right now, but the list is still far too small.

Everybody knows about Justice because of their Michael Jackson tribute D.A.N.C.E., but a lot of people do not realize how good their videos are. The video for D.A.N.C.E. provided the inspiration for Good Life and, in my opinion, the best video from last year.


The group just released a new video for their song DVNO. The video is similar to D.A.N.C.E., but it is a little simplar. Its not quite as good, but its still creative.

No comments: