Saturday, March 22, 2008

Observations From 2 Days of Doing Nothing

So I've spent pretty much 2 entire days laying on the couch watching college basketball and that is in no way depressing. During this time I have noticed a lot of things about the teams playing this year:
  • There are certain coaches that I just look at and know they recruit kids illegally. Have you ever seen Bob Huggins hair? It's something straight out of Blue Chips. I also think Miami's Frank Haith is an underground recruiter. He looks like he's never really happy.
  • This year the NCAA student athlete commercials were surprisingly good. Usually I get turned off by the whole "there are thousands of NCAA athletes and most of us are going pro in something other than sports" thing, but this year's commercials were actually kind of good.
  • There must have been a new rule that if you were picked to do bad before the season you have to find some unexpected playmakers and become one of the best teams in the nation. Then, the announcers are required to talk about how amazing this achievement is (see: Drake, Notre Dame, Miami).
  • I should never pick underdogs. I always pick the wrong upsets (Did Baylor really lose to Purdue by 11? Damn) and then see other underdogs ruin by bracket. I mean, can a 5 seed or 4 seed at least pretend they belong in the tournament?
  • The salesman in that Volkswagen commercial has got to be Cameron Frye from Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
  • There are certain teams that you expect to be loaded with white players (BYU, Duke, Notre Dame, Drake, Butler) and other teams you'd be shocked to see put a white man on the court (Marquette, Memphis, Tennessee, Clemson).
  • Western Kentucky desperately needs a new fight song. Ty Rogers hit the biggest shot of the year and the team's band started rockin out. Listening to it, I'm sure Ty felt more like he threw a ball into a jar at a carnival. (I love the look of Drake's players).

  • Bill Raftery tries way too hard. After his famous "Send it in Jerome!" call back in the day, he's tried to have a memorable moment every 5 minutes. The result? He sounds like your drunk grandfather yelling incoherently about the price of milk and how complicated the television remote is. This is what I'm talking about:

  • State Farm needs to have at least 3 different commercials. I must have seen that commercial where the people have unexplained red circles under them 50 times in the last two days.
  • Digger Phelps may be good at matching his tie with his highlighter (1, 2), but Roy Williams brought the freshness with his.
  • Also, some schools need new uniforms. I should not be confusing Baylor with Oregon and Vanderbilt with Purdue.

Well, this accurately sums up how I've been spending my last two days. Part of me thinks I wasted two days of me, but most of me wishes I could spend every day like that. Now, I have to get back on my couch to watch more basketball.

No comments: