Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Why is everyone a critic?

In the last couple of days I have read some blogs that have been bashing Lupe... calling him a sell-out. First there was the whole Tribe Called Quest incident, now its the superstar remix. Lupe has teamed up with T.I. and Jeezy for the new version and everybody is up in arms. To both of these issues, I say "who cares?" Is Lupe no-longer a backpacker because of this? Guess what. I like T.I. and Jeezy. I don't love either of them, but I do listen to them and I like them. The remix is good (get it here) and I have heard that the two rappers actually approached Lupe about getting on the remix. As far as the whole Tribe situation, he messed up the words to another group's songs for a second. That's it. I'm not saying this because I love Lupe, I'm saying this because it's a fact. If you have forgotten exactly how it went down, here it is:


So Lupe said he didn't grow up on Tribe? Is that really a big deal. Too many Hip-Hop fans have certain expectations of rappers. You have to listen to these guys growing up. You have to wear these clothes. Honestly, this type of stuff is creating cookie-cutter MCs. Seriously who cares and stop judging rappers.

The real reason I've made these statements is because I just finished watching an 80's hip-hop playlist on MTV Jams. As I watched Big Daddy Kane, Run DMC, and De La Soul, I couldn't help thinking "These guys were more playful." I personally think this is a result of too many feuds in Hip-Hop. The genre used to be about having fun and now it has become something serious.

Look at how many different divisions there are in rap: backpack, gangster, grime, house, underground, trip hop, alternative. I could go on but you get the idea. I honestly don't care where it comes from or what type it is. If I like it, I like it. Seriously, can we make this fun again and tell MCs to stop trying to be the next Biggie and Tupac.

No comments: