Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Danny! Charm is a great Album! Whats with the Exclemation Mark!?!?

Pharrell, Lupe Fiasco, T.I., Ludacris, The Roots. If you're a rapper and your name is mentioned with those heavyweights, you're set. Right? Well, unless your name is Daniel Swain, better known by his performing name Danny! (The ! is part of his name, Im not THAT excited). The dude was named on last year's Grammy short list under the best rap album category for his third album Charm. Danny! was also put on the short list for seven categories for his songs on the album.

Swain has drawn comparisons to Kanye West because he produces almost his entire album and uses a heavy dose of samples. Ye has put down D. Swain (the name he produces under) because of their similarites. I want it to be known that Im a huge Kanye West fan, but I feel he is in the wrong in his actions. West really has prevented a talented musician from reaching the amount of success he deserves.

Previously, Danny! had stated that he was done with the music industry. But since signing to record label Definitive Jux, Swain has released to instrumental EPs and is rumored to be in the works of a new album. The album is rumored to be titled And I Love H.E.R.: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack. It wont be a soundtrack despite the title. Wikipedia says it will be released on January 22. If that's the case, get ready for it.

So, I present to you Charm. I know its old, but if you don't have it, you'll thank me. It is a concept CD so, if you're into that ish, you'll REALLY thank me. Let me know what you think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow, this is actually pretty dope. surprised i never heard of this dude before.