Sunday, February 10, 2008

Barack Obama-YES WE CAN

I'm glad to see musicians making songs about things that actually matter. Not to say that "Low, Low" dosen't touch on important matters, but I think the presedential election is a little more important than whatever instructive dance song is being pumped out of the radio right now. First Kidz in the Hall's Work to do (Check it on their myspace if you haven't heard it), now Will.i.am is making a video based on Obama's New Hampshire's acceptance speech.

Having said that, I'm kind of pissed that people are making this election, or at least the primaries, about gender and race rather than the candidates' stance on issues. To be honest, the only things I know about Barack Obama is that he is a black senator from Chicago (along with some other stuff about his personal life) and all I know about Hilary is that she was the wife of Bill Clinton and a senator from New York. Besides that, I assume that they both have traditional Democratic stances.

A lot of the Hip-Hop community is jumping at the chance to support Obama simply because he is the first black man with a legitimate chance to become president. I know a lot of people, black and white, who are going to vote for him just because he's a black man (actually he's biracial, but that's not important). Thirty years ago, nobody would vote for him because he was black, now its become the exact opposite. America is still racist, its just not discriminatory. Many white people become uncomfortable with situations involving race. Its not that they dislike people of other races, they're just unsure of how to handle non-white people.

I'm a white man, and I'm not voting for Barack Obama. Does that make me racist? No. Its just that I am for a smaller government, which is a republican concept, and Obama is a democrat. But even though I will not be voting for Obama, I would have no problem with him as our nation's leader. I admit that the Bush administration, led by a white man, has made a lot of errors running America which has devistated our economy. Which brings me back to this video. I may not be for Obama, but I am for Hip-Hop and this movementis great for the genre. Finally rappers are begining to take a stand for something important. Now, about Hilary...

No comments: