Friday, July 18, 2008

Blinded With Anticipation

The following is a love letter to my favorite music blog, Blind I For The Kids. Yes, I'm a blogger showing my appreciation for another site. I refuse to front and pretend that I don't care about other blogs. This blog isn't the best. This blog isn't even close, my hit count tells me that. But Blind I is the best blog, and I won't deny it. What follows is my raw feelings towards them, I didn't spend hours thinking about what to write or coming up with clever metaphors. Yeah, there are metaphors in there, but they took me like seven seconds to come up with them. This isn't my greatest piece of writing, but it captures how I feel to a tee. For those that think the following is gay, get over yourselves.

Dear folks over at BlindI,
It's been such a long time since I heard from you. What's up? Your site has been "under construction" for a good long time. How long has it been? I don't know. One, two months? The point is, I am tired of waiting for the re-launch.
You see, I've been a BlindI head for a good minute. In fact, you guys were the first bloggers I ever visited to get my Hip Hop fix. Simply put, my love for music was like an itch I couldn't reach and you guys provided the loofah. I loved being that guy who collected all the music those ignorants out there couldn't appreciate. My favorite posts? The Lupe Fiasco mixtape series and all the albums produced by Danger Mouse, including the Grey Album, The Mouse and the Mask, Demon Days, St. Elsewhere, and even this stuff right here. I ate all your posts up as if I was at a Sweet Tomatoes. I looked forward to it every day.
As time went on, I learned about other blogs that fed my Hip Hop munchies. Way More Fresher, IllRoots, The Fader, The Smoking Section all provided some form of musical joy. But, BlindI, you have held a special place in my heart. While everyone else was posting the same "hot" stuff, you guys dug deep and came out with fresh, never-heard-before material. Every month, I looked forward to downloading Blind I Says Go! If something was worth listening to and you had it, I'd enjoy it in a way that was reminiscent of fresh air on a mountain top. If it wasn't for you guys, why would I have Little Dragon, Hot Chip, J. Kwest, or Muhsinah on my iPod (which, hereafter, will be called my BlindiPod)?
Needless to say-but I'm going to say it anyway. Why do they say, "needless to say before saying something?- the last few months have been rough for me. I have gone through a few emotional phases, like a man grieving a lost loved one. First, I was in shock. I didn't believe it. Why is BlindI gone? When will it come back? Will it come back? After a couple weeks of shock, my surprise evolved into anger. Simply put, you were dead to me. I no longer cared. Who needs you?
Then, on July 4th, I celebrated my independence by looking like a desperate ex-boyfriend. "BlindI is coming back soon! It says it right on its website," I told anyone that cared. Most people didn't know what I was talking about or why I cared so much about a website. But you represent more than a website, BlindFolks. You represent everything that is beautiful about music. Basically, it's music stripped of its vices. Nothing holds it back. No record labels, no ignorant radio DJs, no posers. It's what music is all about. It's the soul of music. Nothing more, nothing less.
So now, I'm sitting here waiting for your return. I'll stay faithful for as long as I can. You say Rome wasn't built in a day, and I respect that. At the same time, I don't know how much longer I can wait. Could I go the whole summer waiting for your return? I hope I don't have to find out.
Sincerely,
Siempre

3 comments:

sdot* said...

hey man I read the post and on behalf of the members of Blindi we're honored to play such a role in your musical life. Its people like you who keep us doing what we do day in and day out.
I have good news however, firstly I (sdot*) am back with the site. secondly the dynamics of the site will return to how they originally were, that means free shit no restrictions! lastly the site will be back up...MONDAY (August 4th). Feel free to hit me up over at my site joatradez.blogspot.com or by email sdotro@yahoo.com.
I apologize for the wait. If it was in my hands I would've had it up and running atleast a month ago. see u soon!

GravyPlaya said...

I AM HAPPY TO SAY THAT
BLIND I IS BACK.. www.blindiforthekids.com

Thank you for your support. And we love you too..

NO said...

Wow! That's some schitt I DID NOT expect to see. Very touching & honoring & humbling Sir.

I know we took longer than expected to return like the Jedi, but We were going thru diff designs & aesthetics , just trying to fine tune the site to how we truly envisioned it.

Much appreciation for your devotion to the site. We truly do appreciate all the love we get from doing the site & we have fun doing it as well. We ARE in fact back & You can expect the hottness to be over flowing.

A plethora if u will.

Thanks again my doode.

P's...
No